On Thursday 11 August 2005 11:38, Cadaver wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 03:41, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 23:43, Joe Rizzo wrote:
> > > Hi-
> > > I am trying to convert to using udev instead of devfs.  I need to load
> > > a raid controller module to access to root fs.  I am using mkinitrd to
> > > create the initrd, however the root partition is not mounting.
> > >
> > > The driver module is loading but the root partition is not mounting.
> > > The partition is fine and ext3 is compiled into the kernel.  This was
> > > working when using devfs.
> > >
> > > How do I get this to work?  Do I need devfs compiled into the kernel?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help,
> > > Joe Rizzo
> >
> > no, you do not need devfs, but why do you use a module and do not compile
> > the driver into the kernel?
>
> What reason of having initrd, if driver  and root fs modules are compiled
> into the kernel? It is not very smart, isn't it? I had same problem, but I
> didn't solved it. I think the root fs is not mounting for lack of device
> file in the initrd.

exactly!

Compile everything in, so you do not need to use the dirty hack called
'initrd'.

Initrd are cool for distributors, becaue they reduce the kernels needed for
all the different hardware.
But from an endusers point, they are ugly, make the boot even longer (udev
too) and do nothing positive in return...