I haven't used them, but I'm somewhat sceptical of Avocent as a brand.

Their network KVMs (all that I've seen advertised, I think) use proprietary
viewer software. I don't think they even allow you to view using a web-based
viewer applet (as do many other network KVMs), and I think they may even charge
for upgrades of the viewer software (when you've paid £1000+ for their
hardware!).

The company that OEM's my Blackbox network KVM [1] also make "Digital Signage"
AV extenders [2] - I would guess that these are doing essentially the same
thing as a network KVM, but without the part that transmits the keyboard and
mouse back. The important part is that they're a frame-grabber, taking as input
the VGA or DVI from a computer's video card - that can then be transmitted
across the network digitally. I would doubt that this kind of "AV extender" is
much cheaper than a network KVM, which you can get in single-channel versions
[3], but the performance may be better that I've seen on network KVMs.

You can get great deals on network KVMs secondhand (expect to pay £100 - £200
on eBay) but at least with that generation (i.e. typically 5 - 8 years old) the
resolution and refresh rate is a bit limiting, and there's no way you could use
them for video. But a good network KVM (like the Blackbox) will allow you to
control the remote computer using a standard VNC client.

Dale needs to give us more info about *what he's trying to do*. It might well
be, from his apparent lack of need to control the remote PC, that a $100 STB
"network streaming media player", such as the Western Digital TV+, would do
that job. That allows you to play video files across the network, and does so
at high quality.

Stroller.

[1] http://www.kvms.com/ID/34040.aspx
[2] http://dmtz.com/avx/