On 07/07/11 15:36, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> And what about gnome? Does that not impose a fantastic testing burden,
> alongside which gnome-mplayer is small in comparison?

Yes, but the value of one's time isn't relative. If you'll allow me to
make up the numbers, just because it takes a month of time to test Gnome
doesn't mean that the day it would take to test gnome-mplayer is any
less valuable. In those eight hours you can still drink the same number
of beers, read the same number of books, or -- hell, in this case -- fix
the same number of bugs in other packages.

> How about the devs relook at this and do it sanely. When the major
> consumer of gtk+ (gnome itself) has a stable gtk+-3 very in stable,
> then other packages follow suit, not before.

I don't think anyone would disagree that this is nice to have; you just
have to find someone to do the work. Writing ebuilds is fun, setting up
test environments and recompiling all day is not.