On Monday 18 July 2011 00:16:40 Neil Bothwick did opine thusly:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 00:35:42 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > Okay, everyone, back away slowly from this post and then
> > > delete it from your cache.  The *real* Alan McKinnon does
> > > not top post.
> >
> > He does when his ADSL modem craps out and he's forced to use the
> > GMail app thingamajigy on his Android phone :-)
>
> I'd rather tether my netbook to my phone and stick with real email
> :)

My old G1 is stuck on Donut :-(
Everything from Eclair onwards just kills the poor thing, and
tethering never worked reliably.

> I hope your employer has better redundancy that you do ;-)

Of course :-) Everything on the core network is at least duplicated.

As for us plebs at home, our usual backup is the 3G card but between
one team member crashing a motorbike badly, another (me) crashing a
motorbike poorly, one off sick with flu, one transferred to another
team, and everyone at home without petrol (fuel and metal workers
strike ... please don't ask), none of us remember where the damn card
is anymore.

The other redundancy is the back up modem, which I have never needed
to use and now suffers from a bad case of electron-rot. OK, it's
probably electrolytic caps deteriorated from heat, but electron rot
sounds much more dramatic ;-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com