On 18-Jul-11 21:24, Michael Mol wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Jarry<mr.ja...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 18-Jul-11 21:07, Michael Mol wrote:

-----
2011-07-18T18:41:02+00:00 game fcron[30787]: pam_unix(fcron:session):
session opened for user root by (uid=0)
2011-07-18T18:41:04+00:00 game fcron[30787]: pam_unix(fcron:session):
session closed for user root

Now my question is: why is fcron sending messages to /dev/log,
when it should not do it?

If I'm reading that correctly, it's not really fcron that's logging, but
PAM.

I thought it is because cron is opening session as root.
There is nothing else that could fire pam every 10 min.

I already checked /etc/cron.hourly (daily, weekly, monthly),
there is nothing else that could cause it. And the process
name calling syslog is "fcron" (3rd field in message)...

Cron is opening a session as root. Pam is part of that process. Pam is
logging its participation in that process.

At least, that's what it looks like from here.

I'm no expert for logging, but I think syslog-message looks like:
<priority> timestamp hostname program[pid]: message

So to me it looks fcron (pid 30787) is sending output to
/dev/syslog. pam is sending message back to fcron but not
to syslog. And I wonder why fcron is forwarding that message
to syslog, when it should not...

Jarry