on 2011-07-18 at 18:17 Mark Knecht wrote:

>   What sort of apps are available to discover a public network ESSID?
>Something GUI based would be appreciated if it's in portage.

i got good results with wicd in the past. i got it to work fine on a
gentoo laptop for exactly what you need, if understood your mail correctly.

i don't have a laptop anymore, and on my netbook i have xubuntu. they use
network-manager as a default. wicd is lighter and works fine, but
network-manager has the advantage of working with mobile broadband, while
wicd doesn't. but i never could make network-manager work on gentoo...