I've been trying to share /usr/portage on a gentoo host with a
virtualbox gentoo guest, but I'm having an identity crisis ;)

The /usr/portage/ share mounts perfectly on the gentoo guest,
but even root (on the gentoo guest) can't write to the shared
portage directory.

After hours of googling and putzing around with mount options,
I'm pretty sure that root on the host is not the same user as
root on the virtualbox guest.

This seems analogous to an NFS mount without the 'no_squash_root'
mount option, but I haven't discovered the analogous solution
for vboxfs mounts.

Any applications of the cluestick would be most welcome :)