From: Albert Hopkins <mar...@letterboxes.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:18:53
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade query

On Thursday, July 21 at 10:01 (+0000), j...@jdm.myzen.co.uk said:

> A little advice please? I am about to build a new box going from
> athlon dual core to phenom six core. Including new sata drives and
> motherboard. I was going to clone all my partitions and the re emerged
> all packages with march native
>
> Firstly would you reccommend cloning and if so what is best
> technology?

When I move to a different machine, I just

      * boot into a live cd
      * back up all the partitions with rsync (or use tar or similar if
        you need compression) to an external (USB) drive.
      * boot new machine into livcd
      * repartion, copy backed up files
      * install bootloader (and reconfigure/build kernel if necessary)

If both source and target are on the same network you can probably also
get away with rsync'ing over the LAN instead of using an external drive.

As for what "technology" is best, they are not going to make a whole lot
of difference, IMO.  I find rsync/cp easier to work with (you can
manipulate files before copying them to the new box).  tar is more
efficient if you need compression.  dd, would be the least efficient in
my opinion, because it's going to clone the entire partition, including
unused blocks, when you're really only concerned about the files.  Tools
like partimage, etc. can clone a partition "smartly" but I tend to use
those tools less often as I'm really only concerned about the files, not
the partitions.  Unless your source and target partitions are going to
have the exact same geometry, I don't see the benefit if cloning
partitions.

Just my 2¢

-a