On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Wagener <st...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:09:13 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I just got around to trying my Virtualbox VMs under the new 3.0.0
>> kernel and they aren't working. It says vboxdrv is not set up. I drop
>> back to 2.6.39 and they run fine. Please note I really mean only the
>> VMs won't start. The Vbox GUI runs fine but then cannot start the VMs.
>>
>>    I used make oldconfig to get 3.0.0 working so maybe that caused the
>> problem but I don't yet see what's wrong looking at the config files.
>>
>>    Most likely this is some problem caused by the new numbering but I
>> Googled around looking for a solution and didn't find one. Has anyone
>> else here checked Virtualbox under the new kernel?
>>
>>    Note that VMWare seems to be running fine under 3.0.0, only
>> Virtualbox is failing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

> You know that these Modules have to be compiled against the running
> kernel? A re-emerge should do:
>
> emerge -1av virtualbox-modules
>
> Almost forgot: youd also have to reload these modules via modprobe (or
> rebooting *hides*)

Actually, I think I just figured it out. The new way of loading
modules re Baselayout/OpenRC I think requires that we tell it what
kernel version we're loading the modules for. I'm on the wrong machine
right now but this machine has this sort of stuff in
/etc/conf.d/modules:

k2 ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/modules
# You can define a list modules for a specific kernel version,
# a released kernel version, a main kernel version or just a list.
#modules_2_6_23_gentoo_r5="ieee1394 ohci1394"
#modules_2_6_23="tun ieee1394"
#modules_2_6="tun"
#modules="ohci1394"

I'm guessing I need to modify this file to tell it to load the vbox
modules for 3_0 kernels....

Would you concur?

Cheers,
Mark