On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 14:58 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Alokat <mail...@alokat.org> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm wondering what kind of cpu-type I should use?
> >
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
> [snip]
> > model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     L7100  @ 1.20GHz
>
> [snip]
> >
> > After a short research on this website:
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.1/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options
> >
> > I guess core2 is the right one?
> > Is that true?
>
> That should work fine. Or 'native', if you don't plan on playing with distcc.

moriah tuxonice-2.6.39 # gcc -Q --help=target  -march=core2 >a
moriah tuxonice-2.6.39 # gcc -Q --help=target  -march=native >b
moriah tuxonice-2.6.39 # diff a b
23c23
<   -mcx16                                      [disabled]
---
>   -mcx16                                      [enabled]
56c56
<   -msahf                                      [disabled]
---
>   -msahf                                      [enabled]
74c74
<   -mtune=
---
>   -mtune=                                     core2
moriah tuxonice-2.6.39 #

I am now using core2 as I was having some really odd problems after
mixing flags after multiple hardware changes along with native.  Core2
is recommended for this processor, and I cant see the two flags changed
via native making a difference, but the previous processors is no longer
available to check.

Perhaps someone could do the above and send me the result (the full "gcc
-Q --help=target  -march=native", using gcc-4.5) for an intel E4600?
(the list probably wont be interested!)

BillK