Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:41:33 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

Doesn't do that here. When tmpfs is full it starts being swapped out to
the swap partition. Perhaps you didn't have any swap at the time.
The default size for a tmpfs filesystem is half the physical RAM, unless
you specify more as a mount option, it will never use significant
amounts of swap.

I wonder how effective tmpfs is for PORTAGE_TMPDIR as the builds that
need a lot of disk space can often require a fair bit of memory too, and
tmpfs is using it all.

I posted this somewhere but anyway. I tested this with my 16Gbs and some fairly good size packages. Most of them took a little longer to compile on tmpfs than it did on the hard drive. So, putting portage's work directory on tmpfs doesn't help a bit.

Dale

:-)  :-)