On Sunday 31 July 2011 17:05:39 Michael Mol wrote:

> However, if it's doing that, then it probably has something it needs to
> write to disk. That might be metadata updates.

What, at least once a minute? While the system's idling, waiting for
something to do? Doesn't sound likely to me.

> Have you tried adding things to your mount parameters like 'noatime' or
> 'relatime'?

I've been specifying 'noatime' on all partitions for several years now; it's
automatic behaviour on my part.

> What about "data=writeback"?

I don't like the sound of the warning in the man page.

Thanks for the ideas. So far I'm inclining to the reformatting I mentioned.

--
Rgds
Peter           Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23