Grant Edwards wrote:

I downgraded from 3.82 to 3.81, and all is well.  If you look at
bugzilla, make 3.82 caused a bunch of ebuilds to fail.  Apparently
those ebuilds have now incoroporated patches for the Makefiles to work
around the problem with 3.82.

If you never build anything except using ebuild out of the package
database, that's fine.

If however, you use a Gentoo system for something other than Gentoo
development, make v3.82 isn't a good thing. In the past week, I've run
into issues with the Linux kernel and with several of the Makefiles in
an older version of Buildroot (from about a year ago).

IMO, make 3.82 shouldn't have stable when it was still obviously
incompatible with upstream Makefiles.

I have this installed:

root@fireball / # equery list make
 * Searching for make ...
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/make-3.82:0
root@fireball / #

It has been installed a while according to this:

Sun May 29 21:31:04 2011 >>> sys-devel/make-3.82

I have upgraded about all of KDE and several others since then and I don't recall having this trouble. I'm on amd64 if it matters. Also, there is a more recent update too. I saw a -r1 in the list. You try it?

Everyone can tell you, if something is broke, I usually find it.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)