On Thursday 11 Aug 2011 21:14:59 Matt Harrison wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've just spent the last 4 days or so trying to get an old laptop up to
> date. It hasn't been sync'd for at least 8 months so you can imagine the
> hell it's been.
>
> Anyway, I've managed to get everything nicely updated but there's one
> problem that I just can't fix or find relevant discussion about.
>
> My /etc/conf.d/keymaps defines my keyboard layout as "uk" and this works
> fine in the console. Unfortunately, in gnome the keyboard is resolutely
> stuck on US. I can add the English UK layout in the keyboard preferences,
> and it looks fine when I first select it. However they layout doesn't
> change and when I "Show" the English UK layout, it shows a standard US
> layout.
>
> No matter what I do (which admittedly isn't very much as I don't know X
> stuff that well), I cannot get a decent keyboard layout in gnome.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated before I rip all the keys off and get the
> super glue out.
>
> Thanks

Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add something like this:
=====================================
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier  "keyboard catchall"
       Driver      "evdev"
       MatchIsKeyboard "on"
       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
       Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
       Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Or add similar lines to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf;

Or copy your /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and then add the lines above.

PS. There may be a Gnome way of achieving the same, but I only have cursory
experience of Gnome so somebody else should advise on that.
--
Regards,
Mick