Am 08/17/11 13:44, schrieb Joost Roeleveld:
> On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 09:59:50 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> On Tuesday 16 August 2011 02:48:30 Michael Mol wrote:
>>> How does everybody here use Gentoo? For personal use? Production use?
>>> For
>>> server, desktop or embedded roles? What's your most interesting setup
>>> or use case?
>>
>> Since you ask: my workstation runs Gentoo. My old workstation sometimes
>> does; at other times it's experimenting with other distributions.
>>
>> I have a midget server on the LAN (Atom N270) which runs Gentoo, but it's
>> too underpowered to do all the compiling itself, so it NFS-exports its
>> packages directory to my workstation, where I have a 32-bit chroot set up as
>> an image of the Atom. Emerging is done here, making the packages available
>> for installation on the Atom. This is a cumbersome operation though.
>>
>> The Atom serves web, time, squid proxy, dns, cups and mysql to the LAN. It
>> runs http-replicator and rsyncd to keep a local portage tree for the other
>> boxes. I'd like it to serve mail too, but I've never managed to set that up.
>
> Putting email on the Atom using IMAP might not be the best option. IMAP can
> be
> quite heavy on resources on the server-side.
>
> I use a quad-core AMD for my server.
>
> --
> Joost

Depends on how you use it. I have an IMAP-Server running on Atom which
holds my email archive. Also depends on the Software you use for the
IMAP-Server.
I can not see why a N270 could not serve a moderate amount of users on IMAP.

Concerning the "Atom not fast enough for compiling"-Problem. I compiled,
run and update a Gentoo System on a AMD Geode LX, which is way less
powerfull and it works just fine.

Norman