On Thursday 01 Sep 2011 15:22:29 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 1. September 2011, 00:57:37 schrieb Grant Edwards:
> > > I didn't reply to the OP. I only replied about xset
> > > (non-)functionality, where it sounds like we're in agreement that it
> > > just sounds the system bell (or whatever you call it).
> >
> > No, it doesn't do that for me, and I don't ever remember being able to
> > get it to do so.  I just tried on a couple different systems (all of
> > which have a "pc speaker", and 'xset c' doesn't do anying.
> >
> > Does 'xset c' work for you?
>
> I haven't tested it here, but do you have the speaker enabled in the
> kernel? (CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR)

I have set:

$ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep PCSPKR
CONFIG_PCSPKR_PLATFORM=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y

and can confirm that it doesn't click of beep, despite me setting it to do so:

$ xset -q | grep key
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  80    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf

$ xset -q | grep bell
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100

Another box of mine used to beep (I like having the bell turned on to remind
me that I am typing rubbish ;) but some months ago it stopped doing so.  I
never bothered looking into it and assumed that some change in Xorg caused
this.
--
Regards,
Mick