On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 18:32:11 -0400
Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Happily, there was a nice pretty lady from Samsung in the office 3
> > months ago wanting to sell the 900X Macbook Air knock-off into the
> > company. The IT manager didn't know what to do with the demo she
> > left behind so I knicked it for myself (sans paperwork of course.
> > Makes it easier to prolong how long it takes to test properly) and
> > it's running Ubuntu. Memory issues are a thing of the past and
> > everything behaves just like it should. Even <gasp> flash.
>
> That saddens me a little. Of all the friends and coworkers I have, I'm
> the only one left using Gentoo. All of them switched to Fedora, or
> Ubuntu, or OpenSuSE.

I completely understand how you feel. But, I'm enjoying this break from
Gentoo. Note I said "break", not "leave behind".

It will take 3 to 6 weeks for me to make up my mind what monster Dell I
want next, assault Purchasing to make them approve it then have it
built in Ireland and shipped to ZA.

That's about enough time I think to run into the Ubuntu "you will do it
our way with the deps we want you to have" philosophy enough times to
drive me back to gentoo. But the next machine will not have KDE on it -
all this RAM nonsense started by trying to get Akonadi to work, for very
loose definitions of "work", such as "show me my mail sometime today"

e17 beckons.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com