On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 7. September 2011, 23:33:35 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> > The more I think about this merge of / and /usr, the dumber I think the
>> > idea is.  As I wrote in an earlier message on this list, the initramfs
>> > will be many times larger than the kernel itself.  Indeed, my /boot
>> > partition is only 32 MiB, and that will be too small to contain all the
>> > extra libraries and programs to run the initramfs script.
>>
>> I don't see any problem with an initramfs larger than the kernel. It
>> will handle a lot of stuff. But if you don't want to change your /boot
>> partition, then don't upgrade to new kernels.
>
> How about accepting the fact, that there are a lot of things out there "you
> don't see"? Get over it. People have told a lot of valid reasons. They might
> not seem valid to you, but that's not their problem.

Relax man, I keep saying that is *I* who don't see a valid reason.
That doesn't mean there is no valid reason; I thought that went
without saying. Sorry if it sounded like I was invalidating all you
guys reasons.

My primary point was that, I *you* have your reasons to keep a
separated /usr, then by all means do it. You will only need an
initramfs.

> Have you *ever* thought about machines, that are not x86 or x86_64?
> Here's an intersting read:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/72769

No, I haven't thought about them, because I don't use them. What it
has to do with anything?

>> Change happens.
>
> That's right. And sometimes these changes are simply bad ideas.

If so you think, then write the code to support the *really good* ideas.

>> > To say the least.
>>
>> It works, and it makes life easier for upstream. Which are the ones
>> writting the code.
>
> Hu? There's one upstream writing all the code for all the stuff we use? That's
> news to me.

Well, in this case by "upstream" I was meaning the Gentoo devs.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México