On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 23:33:35 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM, David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
[snip]
> > The more I think about this merge of / and /usr, the dumber I think
> > the idea is.  As I wrote in an earlier message on this list, the
> > initramfs will be many times larger than the kernel itself.
> >  Indeed, my /boot partition is only 32 MiB, and that will be too
> > small to contain all the extra libraries and programs to run the
> > initramfs script.
>
> I don't see any problem with an initramfs larger than the kernel. It
> will handle a lot of stuff. But if you don't want to change your /boot
> partition, then don't upgrade to new kernels.

It is not the kernel that is the problem.  It is udev.

I expect to switch my simpler systems away from udev to mdev.  This
loses some functionality of udev, but that isn't needed on the simpler
hardware configurations.  So mdev could be the simplest solution to the
design flaws creeping into udev.

A very real problem with a large initramfs/initrd is maintaining the
software embedded in the image file.  If it contains duplicates of
e2fsck, reiserfsck, glibc, libpthread, etc., then these typically need
to be upgraded whenever the primary copy is upgraded.  The bigger the
initramfs becomes, the bigger the maintenance headache it inflicts.

> Change happens.

I think a more appropriate observation is: change is inevitable, but
progress isn't.

> >> Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
> >
> > To say the least.
>
> It works,

Putting /etc on a read-only mount works??  I take it you don't run any
database servers.  Every time I add a new database to PostgreSQL it
requires (for my needs) at least 1 new tablespace be created with its
own mount point.  This requires me to add at least 1 line to /etc/fstab
so that the new tablespace(s) is/are mounted before PostgreSQL starts
after a re-boot.  This becomes impossible if /etc is read-only.

Similarly, /etc/mtab needs to remain writeable, as symlinking it
to /proc/mounts (or /proc/self/mounts) won't always work for programs
that parse /etc/mtab.  This is because /proc/mounts contains additional
mount options that are fairly Linux-specific, whereas /etc/mtab should
be vanilla UNIX.

> and it makes life easier for upstream. Which are the ones
> writting the code.

It allows people developing udev scripts to use programs and
libraries that are not [currently] on rootfs inside their scripts.  If I
don't use those scripts, I don't care.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]