Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2011, 22:05:36 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 19:11:04 +0200
>
> Michael Schreckenbauer <grim...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Then design the correct solution and implement it. If it's
> > > technically sound, it will prevail. I think it's a rather
> > > complicated problem with a non trivial solution, but the code is
> > > there if you feel like give it a try.
> >
> > Where did I write, that I am in the position to write such a beast?
> > I only take the freedom to name this a design flaw in udev.
> > It needs things from userspace, which are not yet available at the
> > point it requests them. An initramsfs is a workaround for this, not a
> > proper fix.
>
> If that is the argument from the udev devs you just quoted, then I do
> not understand it at all.

It's my understanding, that this is their point.

> Why can there not be a restriction that udev may only run code in the
> traditional / space (i.e. it will not attempt to run code in the /usr
> or /home spaces)?

Yes. I really wonder, why we have /bin, /sbin and /lib

> Device nodes are a root function; root is the only user that should
> dictate how device nodes are created; root is the only user that can
> normally write to / and thereby create udev's rules and rulesets.
>
> In what valid way does access to /usr become something that udev may be
> required to support?

As udev is able to run arbitrary scripts, there *might* be some code, that
requires something from /usr/*. So they want this beast be mounted, before
udev starts doing it's job.

> Not arguing with *you* here Michael, just wondering about the validity
> of the position you quoted

Understood :)

Regards,
Michael