On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:28 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> I think some of this confusion is caused by the way people switch
> between
> two uses of the word stable. It can mean "doesn't crash", but then
> most
> upstream latest packages fit there, and some long standing releases
> don't. It can also mean "not changing" and this is what some people
> want
> from a distribution.

I think there is a third meaning with gentoo, namely when the ebuild is
working well enough - this is independent of whether the upstream
package is stable.(although it no doubt helps if it is). So you can have
kde make a release (stable in their view) but gentoo takes some
considerable time to make ebuilds that work acceptably, before they are
marked stable (eg x86 cf ~x86)

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>