On 2011-09-09 13:35, Alex Schuster wrote:

> When I switched to using an initramfs, it was not very complicated. I
> simply use genkernel. With CLEAN="no" and MRPROPER="no", it uses my
> /usr/src/linux/.config and does not change the kernel options. Then comes
> genkernel --install --lvm -luks all, and I have kernel and initramfs

And for those that like to do without genkernel? Again, adding another
layer for things to go wrong.

> I don't get this one. Why do you want to copy an existing /usr partition
> to another one?

He said he wishes to move his /usr to a spare partition (the part about
KDE4)... I assume his /usr currently resides on / (or maybe a smaller
partition that he cannot easily expand).

> Yes, I also feel sorry for guys like Alan. But for us desktop users
> I think's it's not such a big deal.

I'm a desktop and a (personal server) user and I think it's quite a big
deal. I want simplicity; adding layers increases complexity. I think
it's the same for Dale and most other people objecting to this. To me
it's a very big deal (this is a deal breaker, or close to it). I've been
using Linux continously since around 1998 (well, I did my first install
on my amiga 4000 in 1995 using 9 floppy disks, don't remember the
distro) and I've been using (not much administration though) Solaris,
AIX and HP-UX since around that time as well (at school & at work). It
seems some developers are hell bent on inventing Windows all over again
(this goes not only for udev but also for Gnome and their supporting
libraries)...

Best regards

Peter K