On Saturday 10 Sep 2011 08:36:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:23:42 -0400
>
> Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I know one thing, BSD is secure as heck.  I installed it once on a
> > > old rig and typed the password in wrong during setup.  I never
> > > could get into that thing again.  I had to start over.  lol  That
> > > is why I chose Linux in general.  I want something that is secure
> > > enough that I don't have to worry about some script kiddie messing
> > > with me.
> > >
> > > BSD is one option I will be looking into if I move from Gentoo.
> > >  After all, they are fairly close maybe even a step up.  Especially
> > > now.
> >
> > Doesn't Gentoo have a BSD target? The problem here is with udev, which
> > doesn't apply to BSD, AFAIK. Gentoo/BSD might be a good direction to
> > go.
> >
> > Also, where does FreeBSD's kernel stand, with respect to device
> > drivers?
>
> There is a BSD target on Gentoo, but I don't know too much about it (I
> just use regular parts on my installs). It seems to suffer from lack of
> manpower, starting up and dying down occasionally. Which is a shame as
> it has huge potential but Linux grabs most of the limelight.
>
> Driver support is excellent. At least on server grade hardware
> everything I've ever bought just works, but I can't comment on desktop
> hardware.

I've flirted with Slackware before I came over to Gentoo and the reason I
chose Gentoo is because it gave me more freedom to built and configure an OS
exactly as I wanted it.  I was at the time thinking of trying BSD with
portage, but when I was keeping an eye on it there was this start/stop
development as Alan mentions and loads of packages were unstable for yonks or
missing completely.  This made me decide to stay on Linux.

I don't think we should give up completely yet.  Perhaps we need to lobby a
bit more effectively (Can we email directly the dev(s)? Where do they live?
Ha, ha!)

PS.  Dale please don't leave!  There'll be no mammoth threads without you and
who are we going to rely to trash the credibility of packages - HAL springs to
mind!  Come to think of it, given HAL's demise can you also please have a go
at udev?  You never know ...  ;)
--
Regards,
Mick