Paul Colquhoun writes:

> Looking at "initramfs" as a modern Linux replacement for the
> "bootable / partition" of traditional Unix systems does make some
> sense, even though I think it could be made simpler.
>
> Fot those opposed to initramfs, would you also object to /boot being
>   1) a manditory seperate partition
>   2) required to be ext2 (or one of a *very* short list)
>   3) having /boot/{bin,sbin,lib} containing local copies of the absolute
>       minimum boot requirements (i.e. initramfs in a real fs)

I had this on one machine. I used the stuff that Dirk Heinrich offered
[*] (he simply calls it initfs), and it sort of worked, but I also got
some errors. Anyway, I always wondered why this is not the standard way.
Sure, having a single intr{d,amfs} file is convenient, but every time I
want to have a look into it, I have to google the cpio syntax in order to
extract stuff. While, with an initfs, you simply see everything as plain
files in the /boot partition.

        Wonko

[*] http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg88055.html