On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:32:59 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 09/15/2011 01:28 AM, David Relson wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:45:58 +0300
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> >> Try installing vmware-workstation and try again.
> >>

> > vmware-workstation costs more $$ than I'm willing to pay.
>
> You don't have to use it.  You just install it in order to get
> libvmware.so.  You then use Player, not Workstation.
>
> It's fetch-restricted, so portage will tell you which file to
> download. To download, you need to register, but creating an account
> doesn't cost.

I wish it were that simple.

vmware-8.0.0 was released today and the vmware site seems not to
include older versions.  (If they're still available, they're well
hidden).

I've created an 8.0.0 ebuild by making the obvious modification to the
7.1.4 ebuild.  However when I run

  ebuild /usr/local/portage/..vmware-workstation-8.0.8...digest"

portage gives a "fetch restricted; download and copy
to .../distfiles/..." message.  This happens even though I _have_
downloaded the bundle and put it in the distfiles directory.

What the heck?

David