On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
> an ISO into a known partition,.
>
> I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
>   install gentoo directly from iso.  Or I should say:
>
> I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
> jumbo like this one:
>
> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305
>
> I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
> is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Apparenly ISOLINUX is in a family of very similar bootloaders, and
someone made reference to a disk version of it last week or the week
before.

However, it might be possible to replace ISOLINUX on the live DVD with
the family's disk equivalent*, and have your normal bootloader chain
load it?

I'm missing a lot of detail here; perhaps someone else remembers or knows more.

* surely there's a script somewhere that automates that.

--
:wq