On Sep 20, 2011 3:03 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 22:40:36 +0700
> Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
>
> > > I had high hopes that ZFS would take us to a new place where all
> > > that would be possible.
> > >

> > Sounds like you need a SAN Storage solution like NetApp or HDS :-)
>
> I have those options too. But the team that runs the SAN charges and
> the rates are not cheap.

Yeah, tell me about it.

The day after we got our first NetApp array, the Finance Director demanded
to know how we were going to recoup the cost >.<

Then the next week, the company got its bacon saved when the production
database got corrupted. We quickly mount the previous hour's snapshot, and
averted an off day. Suddenly, the NetApp array became the company's most
valuable asset.

(Reading BOFH indeed opened up my team's unlimited resource of creativity
;-)  )

> So far the best external storage our team has ever had is the Dell
> M9000 on the ftp server. 15TB raw space, 11TB usable, connected as a
> simple DAS, and it's run for years without any issues at all.
>
> > Heck, OpenFiler is a surprisingly good solution; it's now being used
> > in production in my company's subsidiary.
>
> A colleague is thrilled with OpenFiler, I haven't checked it out myself
> yet. I might just try it out on a media server.

You should! If you want to play around first, install it as a VM.

There are some 'gotcha's, not necessarily data-corrupting bugs, but annoying
ones like: if the conditions are right, a reboot will fail to remount LVs
(simple edit to one of the scripts fixes that). And configuring it to
provide iSCSI LUNs is very... involved.

But once you get the hang of it, everything will be a breeze, just like the
... involved way of installing Gentoo :-)

As for stability, I have no complaint whatsoever.

Beside OpenFiler, you might also want to take a look at Nexenta. Similar
solution to OpenFiler (i.e., convert a server-full-of-hard-disks into a SAN
Storage), but based on OpenSolaris.

And if you do not need the utmost performance, e.g., just a never-ending
NAS, I have heard that QNAP enclosures are the act to follow.

Rgds,