>>> svn can restrict access to directories
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2288810/how-to-restrict-svn-repository-user-account-to-one-directory
>>
>>That would be perfect if it allowed access per file instead of per
>>directory.  I thought about re-arranging the layout to accommodate
>>that limitation but I don't think it makes sense.

After more research, I think subversion's path-based authorization
*does* in fact work with files and not just folders.  This might be
the solution I've been looking for.  I will report back on this after
more research.

> do you not want him to change it or do you not want him to be able to
> read your code?

I do not want him to be able to read or write any files except for the
specific file or files I want him to work on.  This becomes
complicated because he needs to be able to test his changes in a
working version of the system as he goes.  The files to be worked on
contain server-side website code all of which I don't want to give
away to the dev.

- Grant