Gyuri wrote:
> Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
>
>> Frank Schafer wrote:

>>> Thanks, I think I still have the 2004.3 image laying around somewhere.
>>>

>> I've done a pair of installation of 2005.1 and the and the root dir is
>> mounted 0755.
>> #ls -ld /
>> drwxr-xr-x  20 root root 488 Aug 13 05:19 /
>>
>> there are not many place where the mounting of "/" dir happen:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/bootmisc  here / is mounted read only to start the work
>> /etc/init.d/checkroot this one check and remount "/"
>>
>> boot are installed from sys-apps/baselayout , here
>> sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.13 .
>>

> Thank you very much, I'll give it a try. I've used 2001.-universe and an
> old (yet removed) installation (hungarian version)

In the specular thread that it's evolving right now [I (user) can write
to / ... but why]

there is an answer like this:

|The problem on both my laptop and workstation was simply the fact that
|the root partition (/) was owned by UID=1000 GUI=100. Apparently this
|is
|a bug, but a simple `chown root:root /` was sufficient to fix the
|problem, and I also changed several file-permissions in underlying
|directories (like usr).

If you find something similar try a command like this:

#find / -gid=100 -uid=1000 -type d
(find all directories owned by user 1000:100, the first user in gentoo)

!!! LOOK WELL AT THE OUTPUT !!!
if you think *all* that directoryes should be owned by root this make
the change.

#find / -gid=100 -uid=1000 -type d -exec chown 0:0 {} \;