On Monday 03 Oct 2011 20:01:16 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 03.10.2011 20:40, schrieb Grant Edwards:
> > Just recently I've run in to problems because my hard drives are not
> > detected in a predictable order, so my fstab that mount /dev/sdb1 and
> > /dev/sdc1 sometimes result in directory trees in the wrong places
> > (/dev/sda seems consistent, but I don't know why).

Is it perhaps because /dev/sda is PATA on IDE and the rest are SATA?

> > What's the recommended way to fix this?
>
> Mount by UUID or label. In /etc/fstab, specify UUID=foo or LABEL=bar
> instead of /dev/sdx1. You can current UUIDs and labels with `ls -l
> /dev/disk/by-uuid` and `ls -l /dev/disk/by-label`, respectively.

UUID or labels will solve this problem for sure, but if you are still trying
to find out what changed to cause this, have you looked at your BIOS settings
and how it recognises the drives?

Have you changed anything on the physical side (jumpers, cables, etc)?

--
Regards,
Mick