On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 14:35:42 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> I've only used it on Ubuntu, and maybe it's just Ubuntu's
> implementation -- but it was both complicated and difficult.  There
> are 10X as many files, and to change anything you edit a whole set of
> configuration files and run a utility that generates _another_ set of
> configuration files.

That's not strictly true. GRUB2 uses only one config file when booting,
grub.cfg, which is analogous to menu.lst. If you want you can edit this
directly. The rest of the files do not live on /boot and are used to
automatically generate grub.cfg if you want them too. This makes life
easy for distro installer writers as they don't need to worry about
scanning the hard disk to see what is installed and creating suitable
menu entries, they just run grub-install. That's why distros now tend to
play nicely with one another, instead of only setting up dual booting for
themselves and Windows.

The reason there are so many more files is because GRUB2 uses modules to
be able to boot from many more devices, such as RAID or LVM. They don't
all end up in /boot.

So it is bigger and more capable/automatable, but you can use it just
like legacy GRUB if you really want to. For most distros, GRUB2 makes a
lot of sense, but many of its capabilities have little relevance to Gentoo.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Criminal Lawyer" is a redundancy.