Jarry writes:

> In my server I have a few disks which must be running 24/7,
> but I also have a single big hard-drive, which is used only
> for a few minutes every day, just for backups. How could I
> power disk off when not needed (and "on" again when needed)
> in order to save a little power and prolong its life?

Use hdparm -Y to spin it down immediately, or hdparm -S<n> to set a
duration of idle time until it will spin down automatically. See the
hdparm man page for the -S parameter and more information.

You can set the -S command in /etc/conf.d/hdparm. If you want the drive
to spin down right after booting, do this in /etc/local.d/.

        Wonko