On 10/09/2011 06:25 AM, Lavender wrote:
> It seems that no matter I build gentoo manually or with genkernel I
> can't have a fine-working kernel finally. Obviously I must solve it by
> myself , so I determined to build entire kernel all manually , it
> requests a lot of linux knowlege . All for that, I hope someone could
> tell me where to get this information , I haven't found them on
> gentoo.org , so please lead me to the correct direction, thank you for
> you all !

If you're new to building kernel, it will take some time to learn what
modules you need what options you should enable, etc.
You're building gentoo on some host Linux os, so you can use that os's
lsmod utility to know what modules you require.

Also, if some modules may be compiled right into the kernel you may not
be able to see them in the lsmod produces, instead use lspci -v for that.

One important thing I learnt the hard way while building gentoo for a
server- Always compile the critical modules like disk controllers, RAID,
also don't forget to use RAID autodetection if you're not going to use
an initramfs and filesystems (involved at boot) statically.

While citing my experience about building gentoo on a server, you have
to do the things invisibly, so you can't see what the kernel emits befor
panic.

It turned out that I'd disabled RAID autodetection and wasn't using an
initramfs either (which will load the arrays using mdadm).

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com