On 10/16/11 13:37, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 17:08:45 CJoeB wrote:
>> On 10/16/11 11:29, Matthew Finkel wrote:
>>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM, CJoeB <colleen.bea...@gmail.com
>>>
>>> <mailto:colleen.bea...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>     > Also: Are the modules actually loaded before you unload them? Use
>>>     > `modprobe -vr broadcom tg3`. If there is no output, the module
>>>     > was not loaded.
>>>
>>>     Prior to unloading the modules, output from 'modprobe -vr broadcom
>>>     tg3' is
>>>
>>>     rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.39-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
>>>
>>> Hi Colleen,
>>>
>>> Looks like broadcom isn't loading at boot. Also, I'm not too familiar
>>> with broadcom, but why must you load two modules? I found [1] which
>>> sound like your problem (possibly the site you mentioned earlier)
>>> which references a similar problem when tg3 is loaded before broadcom.
>>> You may have already tried this, but have you tested changing the
>>> order in /etc/conf.d/modules?
>>>

>>> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110026
>>>
>>> - Matt
>> Tried changing the order of module loading.  Didn't change anything!
>>
>> :-(  But this was a good idea that I never thought of!
> OK, that leaves the other 2 options I suggested in earlier message.
>
> BTW have you tried the latest stable kernel?  It may have been patched by now.
My head is starting to spin.  I have the latest stable kernel.

Someone said that since tg3 is not loading at boot then, I shouldn't
have to remove it.  However, if I just do 'modprobe tg3', ifconfig just
returns the lo interface.  If I do 'modprobe -r broadcom' 'modprobe
broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3', I still only get the lo interface.  The
only thing that works is removing both modules and adding them again.

I also tried following the openrc document.  The only thing that seems
to suggest a solution is to add arguments for my modules.  I have no
idea what those arguments might be and although I tried googling, I
didn't really find anything that would point me in the right direction.

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org