On Saturday 29 Oct 2011 19:40:49 Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 29 Oct 2011 19:25:00 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > On Oct 30, 2011 1:15 AM, "Mick" <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > pagefile.sys of a WinXP OS and it thinks it is a Win32:Patched-HO.
> >
> > If pagefile.sys is detected as a malware, most likely the actual malware
> > was once loaded into (Windows XP's) memory got swapped, and avast! picked
> > up its remnant. Loaded into memory doesn't mean that the malware was
> > active, if the Windows XP was equipped with a good antivirus.
>
> Interesting!  The WinXP has Microsoft Security Essentials on it.  I'll ask
> my wife if it picked up anything lately.

She can't recall any MSE reports of malware.  I did check the WinXP fs for all
the files and registry entries that this trojan is meant to create and none
were present.  Then I've zero'ed the pagefile and a second scan did not flag
anything up.

I also checked for a reported trojan in a Windows 7 vdi file (in virtualbox).
Nothing found there either.  I am tempted to think that avast! is rather
super-sensitive.  However, avast! also picked up some php files from a backed
up website - so this may be a worthwhile find.

Anyway, I can't make it integrate with kmail which was the original user
requirement.  Tried this script but the kmail Antivirus Wizard will not pick
it up:

   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17898.0

So I am now heading for clamav to see how that works with a Linux desktop.

--
Regards,
Mick