Hi, Alex

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:16:53PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie writes:

> > On my PC's audio, whilst playing CDs, with all volume settings maxed
> > out, the volume can't be said to be louder than "comfortable and
> > sensible". In quiet passages, the music gets drowned out by the noise
> > of the power supply.  I know from plugging in my iPod that the
> > loudspeakers are capable of much more.

> > The three volume controls up at full are (i) the one in aqualung;
> > (ii) the one in alsamixer; (iii) the physical control on the right
> > speaker.

> The ONE in alsamixer? I have at least PCM, Front and CD, another PC
> also has Master. Are you missing some of those? Is a channel muted (you
> see 'MM' inmstead of a volume, use the M key to unmute)? Maybe you have
> to scroll with the right arrow key to see those channels?

Ah, that was the problem.  There are four effective volume controls in
alsamixer: master, PCM, front, and side.  They seem to multply together
(each in the range 0 to 1).  My "side" was only at ~30/100, the others
being around 80.

Now they're all set to 93/100, and the volume control on the speakers
works sensibly.

Why "side"?  What is "PCM"?

Presumably all these controls are for massive batteries of loudspeakers
right, left, centre and behind.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).