On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Kfir Lavi <lavi.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 05 Nov 2011 09:20:19 Kfir Lavi wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have a problem connecting my laptop to my server at home with a serial
>> > cable.
>> > I have cable end for /dev/ttyS0 and 2 cable ends for /dev/ttyUSB0.
>> > This lets me test the connection between all serial outputs.
>> > Desktop1-minicom <-> Desktop2-minicom
>> > works with all connections, i.e ttyUSB0 <-> ttyUSB0, or ttyS0 <->
>> ttyUSB0
>> > and viseversa.
>> > So when connecting 2 desktop computers everything works as expected.
>> >
>> > The problem:
>> > When I connect my laptop to any of those desktops, I get just one way
>> > connection!
>> > If I swap the sides of the cable, the one way connection switch side.
>> > The laptop doesn't have ttyS0, so it have to be connected via ttyUSB0
>> > When I swap sides, it is just between two usb dongles.
>> >
>> > The usb dongles are PL2303 both sides.
>> > Settings of minicom is 38400 8n1  Hardware Flow Control=OFF
>> >
>> > Laptop setserial:
>> > setserial -a /dev/ttyUSB0
>> > /dev/ttyUSB0, Line 0, UART: 16654, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
>> >         Baud_base: 460800, close_delay: 0, divisor: 0
>> >         closing_wait: infinte
>> >         Flags: spd_normal
>> >
>> > Desktop1 setserial:
>> > setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
>> > /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>> >         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>> >         closing_wait: 3000
>> >         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>> >
>> > setserial -a /dev/ttyUSB0
>> > /dev/ttyUSB0, Line 0, UART: 16654, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
>> >         Baud_base: 460800, close_delay: 0, divisor: 0
>> >         closing_wait: infinte
>> >         Flags: spd_normal
>> >
>> > I tried to add the skip_test but this seems to be not working.
>> > I'm not sure what to do next.
>> >
>> > Any help will be appreciated,
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kfir
>>
>> I think that you will need the pin mapping of a 'null modem' to be able to
>> have bidirectional connectivity.
>>
>> Have a look here:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
>>
>> I think I still have an RS-232 to D9 null modem adaptor somewhere in my
>> bins
>> of spares.
>>
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mick
>>
> Hi and thanks for replaying.
> This cable setup is working between the 2 desktop computers
> bidirectionally. So, it seems that that part I got right.
> The problem is when the laptop use the same cable connection and have just
> one direction.
>
> Basically, I need to cross pin 2 and 3, and I have the setup open, so I
> can cross whatever pin I want.
>
> Regards,
> Kfir

I have checked this with another laptop, and everything works as expected.
(serial connection ttyUSB0 from laptop to ttyUSB0 or ttyS0 on the desktop1).
setserial and stty shows the same output on both laptops, so my guess, it
is something related to the USB system?!
Can someone have a guess on this?

Regards,
Kfir