2011/11/7 Érico Porto <ericoporto2...@gmail.com>:
> Yeah, seem udev is the problem.
> I'm reading http://hackaday.com/2009/09/18/how-to-write-udev-rules/
> It seems once this is done right, thing will work
> Thanks!
> (right now, it sees it as generic usb something...)
> Érico V. Porto
>

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Érico Porto wrote:
>>>
>>> so now the module is loadable through modprobe, it all makes with no
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> It's probably out of this topic, but shouldn't I see a ttyUSB or
>>> something like that in my /dev/ ?
>>>
>>> I tried using
>>>
>>> modprobe ti_usb_3410_5052 product=0451 vendor f432
>>>
>>> I just wanted to read the virtual usb serial out of a Texas launchpad
>>> board. This board uses the TUSB3410 chip. I'm asking about this in the texas
>>> forums too, just was surprised to see so many fast answers.
>>>
>>> Érico V. Porto
>>>

>> I would think udev would create the device when it is connected or you
>> boot up, whichever comes first.  I have no knowledge on the device you are
>> using but do on the kernel part.  If you load the module, udev should then
>> see the device and create the file in /dev.  That's the theory anyway.  You
>> can use udevadm monitor to see if udev sees it as it should.  You can also
>> tail -f /var/log/messages to see what happens when you connect it or look in
>> dmesg.  One or more of those should tell you what is not working.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)

I'm also not familiar with your device, but some devices need to be
mode switched manually if they show up as something different. You can
use usb-modeswitch for that or some more convenient tool like sakis3g:
http://www.sakis3g.org/

Btw: I'll report a bug in Gentoo's Bugzilla regarding your (and mine)
problem. Maybe others are affected too and this option can be switched
off at least for genkernel users.