On Nov 11, 2011 5:17 AM, "Paul Hartman" <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is maybe a bit off topic but here goes.  I want to install Linux
on my
> > brothers rig.  The heat sink on the CPU is not much, OEM type.  I don't
want
> > to install Gentoo because of that and it is a older rig with a slow CPU
and
> > not a lot of ram either.  So, what is a easy to install distro that has
> > KDE4, Seamonkey, gtkam, GIMP and such?  I want something easy because I
want
> > to install and leave it be until he can get a new rig built.  Then I'll
be
> > installing Gentoo for a more permanent install.
>
> Since you're already familiar with Gentoo, I would take a look at
> Sabayon. It's basically a binary Gentoo distro (and a gentoo overlay).

+1 on familiarity.

We all know about your (Dale's) daily, um, 'adventures' with Gentoo.

So, going Sabayon should be a relative walk in the park for you. We don't
really want to tax other Linux distro's mailing list, do we? ;-)

> It comes preconfigured just like ubuntu or others so you don't need to
> do anything, just install it and you'll have a working graphical
> desktop and lots of software. Super easy and all of the configuration
> is done Gentoo-style. They have GTK, KDE and XFCE versions to choose
> from. I've only played with it briefly in a VM and tried the LiveDVD
> on my laptop, but I believe you can even still use emerge and use
> portage like you would in Gentoo.

Indeed:

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=FAQ#Should_I_use_Sabayon_as_a_source-based_or_binary_based_distribution.3F

Rgds,