Am 11.11.2011 11:16, schrieb Willie Wong:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:01:56PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>>  (i) What is icedtea-web?
>>
>> If you had actually clicked on the homepage link in the emerge -s
>> output you posted, you would have seen in the very first bullet point
>> right at the start of the page that icedtea-web is mostly Java Web Start
>
> The problem is: that doesn't help me at all. What the heck is Web
> Start? The corporate-lese at
>  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/index-jsp-136112.html
> doesn't really tell me why or whether I need it.

It is the applet launcher you mentioned further down in your email. It
also allows starting standalone applications straight from the web.
There is a difference between these two capabilities but I think they
are now served by the same plugin.

>>>  (iv) Do I really need to have so many different java things on my
>>> computer?

[...]
>> So, if you want Java as implemented by iced-tea, pick between source
>> and -bin. If you want JWS, then emerge that too.
>>
>> Did you even attempt to google this and find answers yourself?
>
> Did you read my question? The problem is not that so many JDKs are
> available. The problem is "why does portage want to install them all"?
> (Scroll up to the top of my message and see the emerge --update output
> which wants to SLOT all three of icedtea, icedtea-bin, icedtea-web.)
>
> So cut the snark, Alan. To spell out the question for you more
> clearly:
>
> Why does portage want to install ALL three kinds of icedteas,
> when all I really need is a JRE? Is there some subtle differences
> between the three such that I must have all three available? Is the
> 6->7 major version update one which they significantly changed the API
> so things start breaking left and right?

Yes, there are new features and APIs available with java 1.7 but I doubt
any applications in the stable portage tree already use these. Otherwise
it should be backwards compatible.

Since 1.7 is pretty new I guess there are still many packages explicitly
requiring virtual/jdk:6 just because the devs haven't yet tested the
transition. On the other hand, some packages will just require
virtual/jdk and therefore trigger portage to install the newer slot.

> <rant>
[...]
> What I don't
> know (as I admitted so much in the first sentence of my original post)
> is Java. I don't code in it. I don't (to the best of my knowledge)
> have any packages installed via portage that has code written in Java.
> All I need is a JRE to look at some applets on the internet and run a
> couple pre-compiled Java applications on my desktop. It may be that I
> somehow acquired a need for a JDK and I forgot, I don't know, but why
> is it that portage wants to installed two JDKS and on top of that some
> web-based JRE at the same time?
> </rant>

To find out why portage wants the JDK, run `emerge -pv --depclean
virtual/jdk`. Repeat until you find @world or something looking familiar.

I bet you have LibreOffice installed with USE="java". There is an old
thread from earlier this year which describes what functionality you
loose when you deactivate that flag. All things considered, though, I
think it will be faster to install a JDK than to re-emerge LibreOffice
with USE="-java".

Regards,
Florian Philipp