On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>> At this point I was told:
>>>
>>> "Now, resize your filesystem to use the additional space."
>>>
>>> So, if at this point the end-block of sda6 isn't 976768064 but, let's
>>> say, 700000000 because mdadm set it to something new, then using your
>>> suggestion I guess I'd set it back to 976768064? I'm not comfortable
>>> however that if I do that that whatever is out there beyond 700000000
>>> is really formatted as ext3 and 'empty' as I don't know what the mdadm
>>> conversion has done to it.
>>
>> Your resize would be applied not to /dev/sd?, but to /dev/md?. You
>> don't need to worry about what that means on /dev/sd*; the filesystem
>> you want to poke is on /dev/md*.
>>
>> file -s /dev/sd* /dev/md*
>>
>> --
>> :wq
>
> Yes, resize would be done to /dev/md?. I agree. However I don't
> believe that I'd use Neil's suggestion of fdisk block numbers on
> /dev/md, right? That doesn't make sense to me and I don't beleieve
> Neil was suggesting anything like that.
>
> I'm thinking that possibly the mdadm way to change the _size_ of a
> RAID is to once again use the grow option:
>
> <quote>
>       -G, --grow
>              Change the size or shape of an active array.
> <quote>
>
> I've not yet found any instructions that I trust to do it though, and
> being that the instructions above came from, among others, Neil Brown
> who manages mdadm I'm hesitant to go in my own direction. I'm just
> looking before I leap.
>
> And fortunately, if I decided to just blow away all three disks and
> start from scratch I have very little at risk that way, and very
> little risk as I will do backups of the RAID-1 onto an external USB
> drive before I start this process anyway.

Ok, I thought you had it clear how you were going to resize the raid,
and needed help resizing the filesystem that already existed on top of
the RAID. I interpreted Mark's instructions as operating under that
impression, too.

Are you saying you don't already have a partition table sitting on top
of /dev/md? ?

--
:wq