On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
> virtual machines on my Gentoo.
>
> I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
> directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
>
> Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
> looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.

I've heard you should stay away from virtualbox, due to instability
from their kernel modules.

Apart from that, make sure your kernel has kvm support enabled.

>From there, you can either try playing with Xen (I've got my Gentoo
desktop as my dom0), libvirt, qemu-kvm or vmware-workstation. I
haven't tried any of the latter three on Gentoo, and I haven't tried
vmware on Linux at *all*.

I can't make a good recommendation for which would suit you best.
Perhaps someone else could make a suggestion or two.

--
:wq