On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:29:16 PM Dale wrote:
> Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> >> AFAIK most (all) modern computers that have CDROM drives are SATA, at
> >> least the one i bought a couple of years ago does.. so I'm wondering
> >> if
> >> your problem is not that you have a SATA CDROM but something else.
> >>
> >> Have you tried boot media other than the Gentoo livecd?
> >
> > Actually I had tried 4 boot media *other* *than* the Gentoo livecd, for
> > the simple reason that I thought they had stopped making them!
> >
> > Stupid me.
> >
> > Looking at the Gentoo download page, they have an AMD64 minimal install
> > CD image created just days ago.
> >
> > The Gentoo livecd works!  I should have looked there first and saved
> > myself a lot of trouble (and 4 blank CDs!).
>
> Could it be something in the BIOS maybe?  My rig that I built last year
> has a SATA CD/DVD burner and it boots Gentoo CDs, Knoppix, systemrescue
> and another that I can't recall.  Knotix (?) or something.  It should
> work.  You may want to try systemrescue if you haven't already.  I'd
> figure this out before something happens and you have to boot something
> to fix it.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

It may be something in the BIOS, but I didn't change anything between the
other livecds NOT working, and the Gentoo one working, so the Gentoo livecd
seems to have done something different.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC.    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.