On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:43:21 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> > The problem people have with LVM is not working with PVs, VGs and
>> > LVs, it is understanding what they are and how they fit together.
>> > Once that is clear, the system becomes as simple as you stated.
>
>> I have a machine I built a couple of years ago that has a good Intel
>> MB & processor (i5-661) from that time frame, and the machine already
>> has Gentoo on it, but the hard drives where more or less what I had
>> hanging around at the time so it ended up with 4 smallish drives. 3
>> for Gentoo, 1 for Windows. Would it be a reasonable training exercise
>> to take a new 1TB drive and do some sort of rsync copy of those 3
>> drives into some sort of a LVM and see how it works?
>
> Yes, although you could also manage it without a new drive. It's a more
> challenging exercise, and probably not for an LVM novice, but you could
> convert the three drives into a single volume group without recourse to
> another drive, provided they weren't all 90% full.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

They are all small drives (80GB or 160GB) and they are all over 90%
full. They are also fairly slow and draw higher power than the 1TB
drive so I figure I'll save a few bucks on electricity each month by
doing it.

Not sure if I'll try moving Windows to the same drive. Seems like I
should as it will remove another drive from the box.

- Mark