On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

>>> The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2
>>> -march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)
>>>
>>> They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...
>>>

>> Mine is:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-interchange
>> -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -funsafe-math-optimizations
>> -fexcess-precision=fast"
>>
>> If you tell me that's not a ricer's CFLAGS, then you've just made me a very
>> happy cat :-)
>>
>> Rgds,
>>

> I wonder if someone in this thread will help me understand the term
> 'ricer'. The only origin I know of this term, from the car world, is
> really pretty racist, so I wonder if there isn't a more genteel origin
> I simply cannot find using Google?
>
> - Mark

Ricer is used to refer to someone who wants to have the system tweaked
to the hardware it runs on that it is not like the generic binary
distros like ubuntu that is compiled for the lowest common denominator
like i386 or x86_64.
hope this helps clarify the term,
James Wall

--
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large