Am 28.11.2011 20:16, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 11/28/2011 06:59 PM, Florian Philipp wrote:

>>> Generally true, but not when something is obviously broken.  That means
>>> not even its upstream dev bothered to test it.
>>>
>>> ~arch is for "we think this works, but please give it a go in case there
>>> are problems".  It's *not* for "we have no idea if this works because we
>>> didn't even try it once".
>>
>> Do you have any idea how much time you can spend with the kind of system
>> testing you propose?
>
> About 2 minutes?  Enabling the parallel startup thingy and rebooting the
> machine.  There you go :-/

Oh, you just want to test the features *you* use, understood. What about
*my* (imaginary) issue with rc_depend_strict="YES" or one of the other
two dozen parameters you can set there. Not even considering different
init scripts in different run levels and so forth. I, for example, start
dmcrypt _before_ lvm because all lvm volumes are on one encrypted
partition. Do you want that to be tested as well or is your experimental
feature more valuable than mine?

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. What about all the other scripts
and config files which belong to baselayout2? What about all other
packages? If the openrc dev has to test his configs, surely the SSH dev
also has to because a crashing ssh daemon leaves everyone with a
headless server in quite a uncomfortable situation.

Let's make a simple example, shall we? Let's say we only want to test
all yes/no variables in rc.conf. There are 7 of them. We also remove
those two only affecting output and you still have 5. That are 2^5=32
combinations that you consider valid and therefore want to be tested.
Now we have a dev spending one hour doing nothing but reboots. Even
changing each variable (I counted 27 in total) only once takes a lot of
time and also different hardware capabilities (like a second network
interface).

Sorry if that sounded harsh but really, what you want is what Redhat
(maybe) does for its releases and those only occur every few years and
cost lots of money.

Regards,
Florian Philipp