2011/12/2 Andrew Tchernoivanov:

> Hi!

Hello.

> I use gentoo on my desktop (P4, 2 Gb RAM) and openSuSe on laptop (Lenovo
> x200s). They both work perfectly well, especially when you precisely know
> what you are expecting from OS )) Regarding your questions:

Ok well.

> About DE:
>  I've tried to use Enlightenment with SuSe, and worked very well (only
> little changes with networking).

> Applications:
>  I have texlive, pdftk, sipp and ns-2 working perfectly on both systems.
> General applications like LibreOffice,
> Gimp, browser works fine too.

> The only thin is really annoying in openSuSe is /usr/lib/tracker-* which
> loads CPU by 90% while searching
> for media files, etc.. I recommend to disable it - I haven't found anything
> useful by using this application.

Okay.

> Hope this helps you.

Yeah.

> P.S. Sorry it there were some mistakes - English isn't my native language.

Not a problem, that is also not a native language for me!

Why I asked to just know if Gentoo is better or openSUSE is better for
a novice who want to learn Linux, just coming directly from
Windows...that's why...However, I have liked the Ubuntu (since it is
easy and nice) but don't know about all Linux in general....is Gentoo
is also using the same Linux which Ubuntu is using?

Cheers.