On Monday 05 December 2011 07:29:34 Michael Mol wrote:
> I haven't yet needed to do this kind of system monitoring, so I'm very
> much a newbie here.
>
> Let's start with that dual-xeon box I was using to benchmark "emerge
> -e @world", figure I'm looking for how better to tune my MAKEOPTS and
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS variables, and assume I'd like to get more
> information about the following factors:
>
> * What was the 1m, 5m 15m load averages?
> * What were the similar averages for CPU spent in user time, system
> time and I/O wait?
> * What was network usage like? (I have a caching proxy server on the
> network, so even if distfiles are lost on-system, well, a cache hit
> transfers at up to around 50MB/s. It'd be better, except for read
> performance limitations on the router box, and write performance
> limitations on the local machine)
> * What was the temperature of each CPU core, RAM module and hard
> drive? (Not so relevant for improving system performance, but still of
> interest.)
>
> I'd like to have a web interface I could navigate to which would show
> graphs of these counters.

There are many web interface for that. You should look at munin, rrdtool,
nagios, this kind of stuff.
I have set my own.
Have a look there : https://www.22decembre.eu/status/ (I have setup my own
certificate authority for ssl).
If you need help, don't hesitate to contact me ! But you may find also better
help around !

See you...

--
Stéphane Guedon