From: Marco Matthies [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 10:02 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates

John Dangler wrote:
> I just finished the base install of the 2005.1 system (2.6.12-r6).  When I
> run emerge -sync, and then emerge -uDvp system, I get a short list updates
> that portage wants to emerge, but there aren't any kernel updates.
However,
> if I run emerge -uDvp world, there is a new version of the gentoo-sources
> (2.6.12-r9).  Why wouldn't kernel updates be included in a system emerge?

The packages in your system come from
/etc/make.profile/packages
(Note: do *not* edit this file)

The packages considered for world are the ones from system plus the ones
in /var/lib/portage/world
The world file is where portage records the packages you emerged, e.g.
when you typed emerge gentoo-sources it recorded it there.

I suppose the reason the kernel is not in the system file is that this
file is a kind of 'factory-defaults', which you shouldn't be normally
changing. But there is more than just one kernel source tarball avilable
in portage, e.g. gentoo-sources, vanilla-sources and some more. Putting
this in the system file would unnecessarily constrain your choice as to
which kernel to run.

Marco