On Thu, Dec 15 2011, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I need to add space to /var (thank you, libreoffice), which is on lvm.
> Since my one volume group vg is getting low, I thought this would be a
> good time to extend it as well.
>
> Alan (McKinnon) has posted very helpful lvm bits (reprinted below).
> Following alan's bottom up creation mandate I believe the idea is

[snip]

1.  Thank you dale for "rc single".  This looks like what I have wanted
    for a while, namely a replacement for single-user mode.

2.  Everyone seems to agree that you really can enlarge a mounted
    ext3 file system.  I was going to try it except ...

3.  I decided to use another suggestion (from neil) to use
    PORTAGE_TMPDIR, roeleveld's idea of just using temporary space, and
    Webb suggested /z for extra space.

So I made a normal linux ext3 partition on sda8, created the mount point
/mnt/junk and when needed mount sda8 on /mnt/junk and set PORTAGE_TMPDIR
accordingly.

One more thing.  Some readers were suggesting I need 8 or so GB for
libreoffice.  The failures occurred with 13GB.  Today's /mnt/junk
success required 16GB.  Fortunately sda8 has 50GB.

Thanks to all.
allan